How Low Can You Go

Body Image and Race? Is there a link?

>> Monday, June 14, 2010

Tonight sets off week 3 at the Running Room, we did 1 minute walk and 2 minutes run,7 times.  Let me tell you ,there is a big difference between running 1 and 2 minutes.  The first 2 minutes felt like an eternity.  Nevertheless, I made it and it was more challenging, but still very doable.  I have 2 more practices; Wed. and Sun. to get used to this run and then next week are at 3 minutes.  We then had a speaker come and talk to use about stretching.  To be honest with you, I hate stretching, I find it SO boring, so I usually skip it (I know I am so bad).  I remember one instructor at the gym used to say that stretching is the dessert after a workout.  I know that it helps relieve soreness, as well as aids in lenghtening your muscles, as well as prevents possible injuries.  I really need to get into the habit of stretching more.

Let me ask you a question; do you think body image depends on race?  My friend at the gym (he is black), says that black women have better body image perception and that is why you do not see many of them in the gym until later in life, what do you think?  I think black women are more comfortable at a bigger size, because they have been told many times in their lives that it is ok to have curves/booty/thickness.  Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with this, but there are many women that confuse thick/with overweight and or obese. I am all about health, sure you can be 300 pounds and swear up and down that you are the shit and you look good, but that is NOT good for your heart.  We as black women really need to watch ourselves because we are getting heart attacks and heart disease younger and younger.  Like Jamie Oliver said this will be the first generation that may not outlive their parents.  Just something to think about...

10 comments:

Chayah June 15, 2010 at 12:07 AM  

My ex and I were discussing a topic similar along these lines. I totally agree with you though.

Anonymous,  June 15, 2010 at 8:35 AM  

I think the bottom line is to be healthy and being overweight will make you unhealthy. I embrace my curves but I also am aware that I am overweight. You are right, people need to realize that there is a big difference.

Desperately Seeking Thin June 15, 2010 at 10:11 AM  

Well I have noticed this as well ESPECIALLY when I go out to the club or a bar or something. I have always told my mom if I had the confidence and attitude of a black woman that I would be just fine. I do agree that some people confuse thickness with being overweight because girl, some of those outfits they wear in the clubs I think to myself "Did they LOOK in a mirror before they came out tonight?" I know I don't feel comfortable wearing anything tight unless I have my SPANX and when I look in the mirror the only thing I see is an hour glass. I don't want anybody seein my rolls at all. No Thank You! LOL.

Desperately Seeking Thin June 15, 2010 at 11:16 AM  

I love my Spanx, they are crotchless, LMAO not that you wanted to know that but I can wear them with cute outfits when I go out drinking and don't have to worry about getting totally undressed just to go to the bathroom every 5 mins lol.

Rheina June 15, 2010 at 12:27 PM  

I think it's more cultural than race based. It seems like having more "meat on your bones" is ok in the black community and even in some hispanic communities. I totally agree with you though that while having a healthy self image is good no matter what your weight, being overweight/obese just isn't good for your body.

Good topic.

PhluffyPrincess June 15, 2010 at 4:31 PM  

I think we have a different but not necessarily "better" body image. White women may tend to be underweight more often, but black women tend to me overweight more often. Is either one better? IDK. I agree that fitness isn't a part of our lives as young women more often than not because we like the softness, fullness, thickness that we possess as teens and young women (possibly before our weight loss struggles begin) but that could just be in my own experience.

Christy June 16, 2010 at 7:15 AM  

I totally agree with you. Black women and even hispanic women are taught to love their curves. White women... not so much. We're made to feel that you are supposed to be thin to be attractive - to thin, in my opinion.

Nona June 16, 2010 at 6:23 PM  

Stretch girl stretch. I really damaged my knees when I used to run by not stretching properly and now I'll probably never be able to run again. So stretch!!!

I think the issue of body image and race is a complex one that's mixed up with a lot of other things like socio-economics, education, culture etc.

I'll tell you what though, once I read somewhere that the figures considered "normal" in the BMI recommendations were based on people who had the lowest mortality rate, I decided that I was going to be with the "normal" group come hell or high water.

Thank goodness, that whether or not I eat my way into an early grave is one of the few things in life I can control.

LeeLee June 19, 2010 at 12:46 PM  

I am so proud of you!!! You are doing great with running!!! I read your Blog and am so inspired. I am starting off slowly and am so eager to get to where Ro & M are in their running goal!!! I just have to keep reminding myself to take it easy and I will get there with time!

I also have to agree with you on the body image question.
You're doing great, keep pushing Girl!!

Post a Comment

Drop Me A Line!

Powered by Blogger.

Designed By Diamond Jenrette at Diamant Interactive Studio 2010. Template by OurBloggerTemplates