How Low Can You Go

My First 5K Run: One of My Proudest Moments

>> Sunday, July 4, 2010

I can genuinely say this was one of my proudest moments, it is almost up there with the day I got my university degree.  Yesterday, I got up around 6:45, because I was so excited.  I had a mango for breakfast and headed out to the race area.  This is me before the race.

At 8 am the temperature was already 20 degrees and climbing.

I arrived to the race area early.  They had coffee, bananas, juice and granola bars for people to take.  I was nervous,but at the same time I was anxious to get it over with. There were three classes of people at this race: 5K walkers, 5K runners and 10 K runners.  The 10 K people were just going to do the 5K course twice.  We all did a group stretch and the organizers were playing music getting us pumped up for the race.  When it was time to line up, I positioned myself closer to the back, I had read that if you are slower you should go to the back so that you do not interfere with the faster runners. There were about 60 people in total.  When the whistle blew, I was off.  Let me tell you those first few minutes were a little overwhelming, all these people were racing to get ahead of each other.  I just kept my cool and kept my pace.  I was not going to be jaded my people who were passing me and let me tell you there were many.  Within the first 5 minutes there was a hill, it was a bit of a pain, but I did it. I was so happy when I saw the 1K mark, I looked down at my stopwatch at it said 7 minutes, not bad. I continued to run taking in the beautiful residential area that we were in.  There was not much shade, since we were running in the street, so I was sweating life a mofo.  I kept with my 10 minute run, 1 minute walk schedule and I saw that many people where doing the same with their stop watches, so I really did not feel bad.  By 2K there was a water station, I wanted to walk through it but then I noticed they did not have any garbage cans, and I DID NOT want to throw the cup on someones beautiful lawn, so I stood there and drank it, it was so cold and delicious.  I kept going and surprisingly the 3K and 4K  markers came quickly.  I loved the fact that there were people on their lawns doing their Saturday morning housework cheering us on. I must admit that at one point there was no one in front of me and no one behind me and it was a little discouraging, but I kept going.  When I crossed the 4K marker I knew that I was almost done and this pushed me even more.  There was a little boy on his lawn and as the runners passed he got so excited and kept yelling"Woohooo", it made me laugh.  Then I heard the music at the finish line, I knew that I was almost there.  I saw my Mom cheering (she came to supposed me ), I blasted to the end and my final time was........
37:37

WHAT!!!! Can you believe it!  I was ecstatic, elated, I still can't believe it!  I was so happy at the end I felt as if I could have done anything!  I am so proud of myself, all my hard work paid off.
MissHaneefa at the finish line, happy as a clam.  My Mom and I.

Now,  I know that I can do a 5 K.  What is the next step?  I thought you would never ask. Sign up for a few more 5Ks improve my time with each race and try to bring my time eventually under 30 minutes (I am not even sure if this is possible but I will try).  Running clinic at the Running Room will be over in a few weeks.  Since I know that I can do a 5K, I am going to sign up for the 10K clinic at the end of August.  My November, I should be running a 10K!  OMG! I cannot believe this.  If you had told be a few weeks ago that I would even be thinking about running anything, I would have laughed in your face.  This just proves that if you want something and you work for it you can do it. I know this sounds cheesier than a grilled cheese, but it is so true!  Thanks for all your support!

P.S.  I didn't do my 30 Day Shred yesterday, I know that you will understand.  But today I am back with Jillian!

13 comments:

Unknown July 4, 2010 at 12:45 PM  

Get it Girl!!!

Congratulations.

LC July 4, 2010 at 2:16 PM  

Congrats on your first 5K!!!

GFS July 4, 2010 at 2:18 PM  

Don't stop! GIT IT GIT IT!!!

Erin July 4, 2010 at 2:38 PM  

Congratulations! Keep up the great work!

Anonymous,  July 4, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

Don't you look cute! :-) Congrats on your first 5K!!

erica July 5, 2010 at 9:36 AM  

Dang girl! You've got it going on! Fabulous job... awesome time you should be so proud!!

xo you're fab!

Chayah July 5, 2010 at 10:30 AM  

Congratulations! I am so happy for you I had a feeling you would do excellent! You have definitely inspired me I can't wait til I'm able to get out there and run one.

Madame: The Journey July 5, 2010 at 12:22 PM  

Woot! Congrats on accomplishing that 5k feat! ;o)

Lindsay July 5, 2010 at 8:10 PM  

YOU ARE AWESOME!!!! Great job :)

Ro July 6, 2010 at 9:48 AM  

I know I'm late but CONGRATS!
Seriously I am sooo proud of you and your time...GIRLLLLLLL
you did that!!!!
WAY TO GO!

LeeLee July 6, 2010 at 10:49 AM  

AHHHHH!!!! I'm so HAPPY for you! You really committed to this and look at you....completing a 5K!!! What an inspiration!! I Have so much love and respect for you, you have no idea!!! I can't wait to get where you are! Keep going Hun you got this!!!!

M July 6, 2010 at 11:36 PM  

Congratulations! How wonderful! You did that pretty fast! Running is a wonderful exercise, and I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Post a Comment

Drop Me A Line!

Powered by Blogger.

Designed By Diamond Jenrette at Diamant Interactive Studio 2010. Template by OurBloggerTemplates