How Low Can You Go

5 HEALTHY Items that are CHEAP

>> Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The last post got a few comments stating that eating healthy is expensive and this is why people don't do it.  I agree 100%. Yes, it is easier to buy a pizza than to make it, but many people have said that the more they cooked at home, the more weight they lost.  I myself noticed a huge difference when I stopped buying lunch and brought my own.  You never know how much salt is placed in the item you are eating.  Also the portion sizes are always too much and you HAVE to eat it all because you paid for it, RIGHT?! I have compiled a list of 5 items that are good for you and will not break the bank.

  1. EGGS-- Great source of protein and you can get 12 for 2$.  Did you know that there is no nutritional difference between white and brown eggs?  The only difference is that they come from different colored chickens.  Have then hard boiled as a snack, make an omelet or put them on a salad.
  2. TUNA-- You can find a can as low as 59 cents.  Choose the ones in water.  Add a little mayo (or plain yogurt) some pepper, pepper sauce, green onions and you are set!  Add it to a salad or just eat it plain.
  3. OATMEAL-- A big bag runs you about 2-3 $.  This is a great option for breakfast, all you have to do is add boiling water.  Add cinnamon, nutmeg and berries for a yummy meal or snack.
  4. FRUITS & VEGGIES -- Buy what is in season, this is the key to cheaper fruits and veggies.  Also bananas are always pretty cheap 70 cents/lb, they are great source of potassium and are great in smoothies
  5. UNSALTED NUTS -- Almonds, sunflower seeds, walnuts, try to buy these at a store that you can shop by weight such as Bulk Barn. They make a great snack and all you need is a handful, you can add them to oatmeal and salads, they are a great source of healthy fat (remember you do need some fat in your diet for your organs)
Do you have a healthy "cheap" item that you swear by?

4 comments:

Ro July 21, 2010 at 1:16 PM  

Great post. I agree with the whole list especially the fruits and veggies part. When they are in season and on sale....you get the best product for your buck.
I also think buying brown rice and beans in bulk can save ton.
Oh and cooking at home is always the best way. No t only is there no way of knowing the salt content but the butter/oil, and other ingredient list as well!

PhluffyPrincess July 21, 2010 at 9:02 PM  

Very nice post! I agree with Ro and bean in bulk. Also, I purchase the spring water in those 1 gallon jugs instead of bottled water for about $0.69. I know I should use my filter more often, but since I don't...its the next cheapest thing!

LC July 21, 2010 at 10:40 PM  

This is a great list. I would add dairy products such as yogurt and skim milk. They are both healthy and cheap.

Pencil Skirt Bound July 24, 2010 at 7:01 PM  

Vegetables! I went to Costco and filled my cart with veggies and fruits and my friend filled her cart with meat and processed items. My cart was overflowing with food while hers only had about 20 items and my food cost LESS than hers. I was astounded!!

Post a Comment

Drop Me A Line!

Powered by Blogger.

Designed By Diamond Jenrette at Diamant Interactive Studio 2010. Template by OurBloggerTemplates