How Low Can You Go

30 Day Hot Yoga Challenge: Week 1 Done!

>> Tuesday, November 8, 2011

     As of yesterday, I have done 7 straight days of hot yoga (accompanied by other activities) and when I stepped on the scale today I saw...a gain of 0.4 (219.4).   This is really frustrating that I have been working really hard, but I am not losing the weight that I want to loss.  I know that I have to be more careful with my eating.  I eat well 90% of the time, but then I will have ONE meal (out or at a party) that is fried of fatty and I will gain 3 or 4 pounds over night!  No joke.  I do not know what to do.  Why is it that I cannot have one meal a week that is not "one plan" without ruining everything that I have done for the week?  I was down to 215 last Thursday and then Friday I went out and everything was done.  I cannot even say that when I went out to eat it was all that bad.  I watched my portions, but the food was obviously not as healthy as if I would have eaten something at home.  I am really trying to analyze and understand my body and I am starting to see that I have to "be on" all the time.  I don't know/think that this is realistic for me, but I really have to get rid of these 20 pounds so that I can get until 200.  I am starting to think that this may never happen.  Now marks 3 years and 8 months that I have been working on this and I am sitting at 52 pounds lost.  Last year at this time I weighed 208 (granted i just had surgery and could not eat), all I am trying to say is maybe I can't get any smaller.  I already work out almost everyday and i have been doing this even before I started to watch my weight.  maybe my body knows this and can't do anymore...  I don't know.  I really just want to be rid of this fat and back to living life.
     The plus side of this week of hot yoga is that my stomach feels flatter and I know that my balance has greatly improved.  I was in an aerobics class yesterday and we had do do some balancing possess and I was much better than I was a few months ago.
     I also need to stop being such a slave to the scale this week I am not going to step on the scale until next Tuesday. This is going to be really hard for me since I do weight myself daily.  I also think that tomorrow I am going to take my measurements and keep track of those on a weekly basis also. I am curious to see if my waist is getting smaller or if it is all in my mind.


LA left a comment in my last post asking about race training advice (I still can"t believe that people are asking me for advice!).  

  • Try and run at least three times a week.  In your comment you said that on average you run 3.5 miles (about 5.6K).  One of these runs should be a long slow run.  Try this week to have a 6k run (3.7 miles) , a week from then try a 7K (4.3 miles) and then finally a 5 mile (8K) run.  you should try and run the race distance at least once before the race.  Remember that you should take these runs S-L-O-W.  Don't be nervous about your first race, you can only improve from there.  Also if you feel the need to walk, there is no shame in that.  Last Saturday during the 10K race there was a monster hill.  I tried to run as much as i could but i had to walk the rest of the way to the top. Once I felt like I was really (about 2 minutes)  i started running again.
I hope this helps!

5 comments:

GFS November 8, 2011 at 10:15 AM  

Girl 52 lbs! That is awesome! I get frustrated when I don't lose...not that I'm ever consistent.

I know for me, I have to switch up my foods at home. My body gets bored with the same foods even if it is healthy. I have to shock my body. I've been trying to buy something new evry week from the grocery store.

This week, I bought eggplant. Ihave no idea how to cook it but atleast i will try.

The week before I started buying 2 sweet potatoes/yams...and I love it!

So maybe shock your system.

Also GET RID OF THE SCALE! I do not own one! It would create a monster in me!

I am on WW so I only weight in once a week(when I do go). It makes for a much better surprise only once a week than staring at the numbers everyday.

Anita November 8, 2011 at 4:39 PM  

I commend you for all of your hard work thus far. I weighed myself then I had someone hide my scale because I was becoming a slave to the scale and wanted to see my results everyday! I would get upset and frustrated when just like you I worked my butt off only to have a gain.

It will only come out on the days I HAVE to weigh in.

Excellent job on your Marathon and Hot Yoga :o)

Anita

Tim November 9, 2011 at 1:45 PM  

Your running advice couldn't have come at a better time for me because i've started running more outside and you're right, I shouldn't be ashamed to walk some of it. Sometimes I put too much pressure on myself to keep running even if I am carrying a stitch or a slight injury. I need to be more sensible!

Mimi November 9, 2011 at 5:21 PM  

Hey lady,

all i want to say is. KEEP GOING! you have done awesome. this might be a pain, but try to calorie count for 2 WEEKS. if you are eating around 1500 and working out you should be down 3-6 pounds in 2 weeks. Also, what is your sodium level like? that can play games with the number on the scale. is it possible that your day "off" you are eating high sodium foods like chinese or soups and the like. those things will definite have an immediate (but not lasting) impact on the scale. It's nonsense to say you can't be under 200. you can! You are probably just eating more than you think you are. Exercise is only like 20% of weight loss. you can cut calories and not exercise and lose tons of weight but the reverse is harder.

You've done great so far! Hang in there and remember sometimes (at least for me) the weightloss fro

LA,  November 10, 2011 at 11:22 PM  

Haneefa, thanks for the tips on working up to an 8k race. Since your post, I've been running outside; however, it's soooo much more challenging to run outdoors than on a treadmill. I've realized that I can barely do 2 miles outdoors (with running up hills etc). When you train, do you train outdoors for races, or how do you transition from running on the treadmill to successfully running outdoors. I feel as if it would be so much easier to run the 8k on the treadmill, but outside it seems nearly impossible. Thanks!

Post a Comment

Drop Me A Line!

Powered by Blogger.

Designed By Diamond Jenrette at Diamant Interactive Studio 2010. Template by OurBloggerTemplates