How Low Can You Go

Why Are There No Black Women At The Gym?

>> Monday, January 4, 2010

This is a question that I have posed to myself on a weekly basis. I walk into the gym and I see so many black men working out, yet the number of black women that I see can be counted on two hands with fingers left over. I always wish that I had someone to workout with.... I decided to come up with a list of the main reasons black women don't workout:

1. HAIR---This is probably the major issue why there are not more black women in the gym, many women do not want to sweat out that perm that they just paid 60$ for. black hair is already dry enough, who wants to wash their hair daily? I have had my hair perm free since 1999, I change up my hairstyle every few months but it ranges from braids to weaves to pieces. I find this the best way to look cute and be ready to workout. One a side note I also read that this is the reason that some black women do not get cancer treatments because they are afraid of losing their hair :(

2.BODY IMAGE---I have heard many of my friends say that they don't want to hit the gym too hard because they are afraid of "losing" their shape. Everyone wants a Beyonce body right? Well if you do squats, leg presses and deadlifts, your booty will be even MORE bootylicious

3. FEAR---I guess that this doesn't just apply to black women but women in general. Women are scared of the gym, they are afraid that they will look stupid once they step into that weight room. Don't be scared! If anything the men will be amazed that you want to get in the best shape of your life.


As far as these issues go, diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity are a a huge problem in the Black community, I really believe that black women need to integrate a healthy life style into their lives or they are going to cut their lives shorter than they desire.

Young black girls need to be better informed about the dangers of unhealthy eating and lack of exercise.

OK, enough of that ranting.....

I really wanted to share with you the TOP TEN workout songs that I am really feeling right now (in no particular order)

1. Clear--Kardinal Official
2. Tik Tok--Ke$ha
3. Beggin-Madcon
4. Money to Blow--Birdman feat. Drake and Lil Wayne
5. Empire State of Mind--Jay Z feat. Alicia Keys
6. Baby By Me--50 Cent
7. Throw It In The Bag--Fabulous feat. The Dream
8. Tusty--Blaxx
9. More Water--Zoelah
10.Out On de Road--Zan

The last three are soca songs from the Caribbean, my parents are from Trinidad and Tobago and the music is fantastic to workout to, especially card

1 comments:

PhluffyPrincess March 14, 2010 at 6:21 AM  

you hit the nail on the head with the reasons we do not work out. Check out this study done at Wakeforest.

http://jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/cns/2008-04-01/zeveloff-obesityhairdo.html

Post a Comment

Drop Me A Line!

Powered by Blogger.

Designed By Diamond Jenrette at Diamant Interactive Studio 2010. Template by OurBloggerTemplates