How Low Can You Go

Good Stuff and a Question

>> Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Things are going well this week. I recently rediscovered edemame, better known to the rest of the western world as soy beans. In Japan they serve these babies when you go the the izakaya (Japanese bar) on the table. Kind of how they serve chips and salsa when you go to a Mexican restaurant. I saw a bag at the grocery and I decided to buy it. All you have to do is bring some water to boil throw in about half a cup and cook for 5 minutes and voila! Insta side dish. I like it plain, but you can add olive oil or a little salt. I have a friend that even makes a salad.

I am worried because my work is having a fund raiser for Haiti on Saturday and it is a dinner, we all have to bring something. Any ideas on what I can bring (dessert, salad or appetizer) that bring that is fun and healthy?

Feeling healthy and feeling good about yourself is not a luxury-- it's a necessity

4 comments:

Amberly January 28, 2010 at 3:20 AM  

I always like to take something that I can eat... in case there is nothing else I can eat. I make a broccoli casserole. You take frozen broccoli and follow the instructions to cook it. In another pot, you take 2 tbsp of butter, 1 cup of milk and 2 tbsp of flour. Boil over med, constantly stirring cuz you don't wanna burn the milk. Once it begins bubbling add in 1/4 cup cream cheese and stir in until thick. Drain your broccoli and stir it into this white concoction. Put it in a pan with some cheese on top (I like mozzrella or med cheddar) and put in the oven for 20 min.
Otherwise... I like to take a fruit salad and make a creamy dip for it. It's fun to arrange the fruit into some kind of unique shape. I made a 6 foot palm tree once.. and the base was covered in fruit. Hope I helped.

M January 28, 2010 at 10:15 AM  

I LOVE edamame! I love sushi, too of course! Edamame is wonderful for the body. Costco sells twelve bowls of it in a box of twelve for about $8. You just pop it in the microwave. Why not make some yummy homemade granola? I've never tried it, but I bet it would be surprisingly yummy!

karen@fitnessjourney January 28, 2010 at 11:08 AM  

I like to make a pretty vegetable tray when I go to a potluck type dinner. I hollow out the top of a purple cabbage to the dip and cut up a lot of colorful vegetables. The presentation just makes it look so much prettier.

Another favorite of mine is a corn and black bean salad. I mix in onion and red and green peppers and make a dressing from vinegar, oil and some seasonings. It's quick and easy, but delicious.

It is wonderful that you and your co-workers are doing something to help the people of Haiti.

LC January 29, 2010 at 12:58 PM  

Checkout the Caramel Nut Banana Bites Recipe on my blog. They are good and easy to make: http://tinyurl.com/ybbjppl

Have fun this weekend!!

Post a Comment

Drop Me A Line!

Powered by Blogger.

Designed By Diamond Jenrette at Diamant Interactive Studio 2010. Template by OurBloggerTemplates