How Low Can You Go

Am I Ageist?

>> Saturday, April 2, 2011

Went to my new gym today and did a Body Design class after doing thirty minutes in the stairmaster, I have really come a long way, I remember the days when I couldn't do 15 minutes on that monster.


For the first time in my gym career I had an older women as my instructor, I am do bad at guessing ages but I think she was in her 50s. The class was fantastic, but I admit I had my doubts when I walked in and the average age was 55. I don't know why I felt this way, was it because I associate health with youth? If someone is older they usually have more knowledge so technically someone older should be a better teacher. Well, I was proven wrong, the class was fun and challenging, I was sweating up a storm, I was wondering to myself hmmmm was I not giving this class a chance because the instructor is a bit older and holding three pound dumbbells? The answer is yes. I am ashamed that I had these thoughts and I really need to be more open minded.

2 comments:

Tim April 3, 2011 at 11:32 AM  

I made a similar error when I went swimming a few years ago. I was the only 20-something in the pool with lots of old ladies. After 5 minutes I was practically dead and lapped twice by an 80 year old. I definitely learnt my lesson!

Shannie (akaSolidice242) April 3, 2011 at 12:58 PM  

I think I would react the same way if I walked into a class and the teacher was a much older person. I know when I first started doing Walk Away the Pounds dvds I thought the workout would suck because it was a group of older people. To my surprise I really liked the program.

Even though you had your prejudice towards the class at least you stuck it out and gave it a try. I commend you for that

Post a Comment

Drop Me A Line!

Powered by Blogger.

Designed By Diamond Jenrette at Diamant Interactive Studio 2010. Template by OurBloggerTemplates