How Low Can You Go

Day 6: Favorite Super Hero and Why

>> Wednesday, September 7, 2011

   
 I have discovered a new hero in the last few days.  I was watching the Track and Field World Championships in Korea (On my TV, I wasn't in Korea) and I was introduced to this guy....

South African runner Oscar Pistorius

Oscar was born with congenital absence of the fibula in both legs. When he was 11 months old, his legs were amputated halfway between his knees and ankles.  I don't know that much about him, but I do know that he is F-A-S-T, he won a gold medal in the 400 m last year in Italy.

Not only does he not have legs (he is known as the "fastest man with no legs"), he is one of the fastest men on the planet.  I really have to bow down to people like this, they leave me in awe.  I have so  much respect for him, I know that if I had my legs amputated I would probably lock myself in a room and wallow in my pity.

In my books he is so damn "super", that he puts Batman that i was going to write about to shame.


*Thanks Anonymous for the comment, I made the correction.

6 comments:

Anonymous,  September 7, 2011 at 5:43 PM  

I love track and field and I find his story inspiring as well. He is not, however, the current world record holder in the 400m event.

Tim September 7, 2011 at 6:22 PM  

Unfortunately he was dropped by the South African 4x400 relay team for the final, which they went on to get medals. Such a shame that they took away his dream despite him helping them get to the final. He is extrordinary!

Anonymous,  September 7, 2011 at 8:05 PM  

You're welcome. I read that and thought - he beat Johnson's record recently and they didn't mention it on the news?!! His world record and gold medal are referring to his accomplishments in the paralympic games. Olympic or paralympic, he's still a top athlete.

Mizz White September 7, 2011 at 8:51 PM  

I need this post to have a "like" button. Fabulous choice.

Noir September 8, 2011 at 5:49 PM  

Love this. I've been following Oscar's story since last year and his battle to compete with 'regular' runners. He really is an inspiration to everyone.

He also makes running on his 'blades' look soooo cool! LOL

Post a Comment

Drop Me A Line!

Powered by Blogger.

Designed By Diamond Jenrette at Diamant Interactive Studio 2010. Template by OurBloggerTemplates