How Low Can You Go

What I Have Learned After Running For 7 Months

>> Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Like I said in a previous post, I have been asked to do a post on running. I started running at the end of May. This being said I am no expert and I am still learning myself.
I was looking for something new to add to my fitness routine. I had always shied away from running because my breasts have always been so large that any type of jumping while exercising hurt. But since I have lost some weight got a better bra and threw a sports bra on top the pain is gone. I had heard about the Running Room and we have one near my house so I went a few times to check it out. I finally joined their Learn to Run clinic which was ten weeks. At the end of these ten weeks one would be able to run for 20 minutes with a one minute walk in between. Now before I continue running is not for everyone, that I can understand, but the fact that you can do it anywhere and you feel so free, I urge you to give it a try. I started by running one minute and walking one minute for 20 minutes three times a week. Each week I increase my running time by a minute but I always kept that one minute walking break (this was similar to a Couch to 5k routine). Within a month I wanted to see how I would do in a 5k race so I signed up and did it in a little over 37 minutes. I realized that I was really started to like running and signed up for more races. I was hooked. I have just finished my second 10k clinic and in February I will begin to train for a half marathon, on the date of the half I wil have come full circle. I am really impressed with what I have accomplished so far. I have compiled a few helpful things I think anyone who is starting out as a runner should know.

I do not run with music because I really like to observe what is going on around me. I find it relaxing and it gives me time to think and/or clear my mind. But you are more than welcome to, just be careful and if you run alone make sure that you tell someone where you see going, you know just in case :)

When you run there are a few things to note:
- Get good shoes. If you have a running store in your area ask then to look at your feet and tell you what shoes will be best. The type of shoe depends if you pronate or not (the is when your food leans in or out when you stand), Trust me spending 150$ on a pair of shoes is worth it, but if you are not ready for that yet, go to a larger sports store where they might have that model on sale and get them. If you run regularly your shoes will last you for a year MAX.
-Dont over dress when you run, your body increases by ten degrees so remember that when you are getting dressed. Even when I run now in -5C I wear a long slipped shirt with a short sleeved shirt on top and a windbreaker type jacket and that is it. "Cotton is rotten" it will keep up wet. Avoid corton t-shirts. When you run you can wear your workout clothes if you have anything made with synthetic material such ad Nike DriFi. this will keep you dry.
- If you get chaffing when you run, I used to get "bra burns" from the bra rubbing against my skin, I now use a product called Glide, but Vaseline will do the trick also. You can also put it on your feet if you get blisters or between your legs if you wear shorts. Men you can also put it on your nipples (some male runners get bloody nipples from their shirts rubbing against them, I know too much info)
-Try to run against traffic so that cars can see you, if you decide go run at night make sure that you have some type of reflective material on or a light. I wear a bike light on my shoes.
- You may be tempted look down when you are running, don't, keep your head up and try too look at the tops of houses or straight ahead. I know personally that this is easier said than done especially if you are running in the snow and are afraid of slipping
- Breathing is so important. Make sure that you are constantly breathing. Try to inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Keep your shoulders back and relax, this will open up your chest and help you to breath by allowing more oxygen in. As we run many of us ( myself included) tend to bend forward and hunch our shoulders in, this makes it even harder to breath and restricts lunch capacity.
- Stay hydrated. Bring a water bottle with you and drink from it especially if you are running in the heat.
-Have fun!

I am sure that there are things I forgot to mention, if you have any questions or additional info feel free to leave a comment.

Happy Running!

9 comments:

Al January 5, 2011 at 7:30 AM  

Thanks for posting this! I'm actually goin to try to start running this year. I got the shoes,and bought the book Running: Getting started by Jeff Galloway. I need to go get some wicking workout clothes. Thanks again for sharing your tips!

Anonymous,  January 5, 2011 at 7:53 AM  

I can't thank you enough for doing this post. I'm joining a walking group to increase my stamina and then I'll try jogging/walking intervals. Thanks again for taking the time to write this post.

Miesha Roshawn January 5, 2011 at 8:13 AM  

Thank you for sharing your tips! I was actually looking at a couch-to-5k program yesterday! I don't know exactly when I'm going to start running but it is on my list for sure!

M January 5, 2011 at 7:07 PM  

Thanks for this post! There really are lots of things to think about when you first start running, but when after you do it for a while it becomes second-nature.

gina joubert,  January 5, 2011 at 8:50 PM  

Delurking..lol..love your blog! I started the C25K last year but feel off at week 5...I just couldn't regulate my breathing...ugh! But I can say I had on all the right clothes and shoes..so I at least look the part. I plan on joining a running club and hope that will help!

Tim January 6, 2011 at 12:31 PM  

Excellent and interesting post! I learnt loads!!

100 Pounds 100 Days Challenge January 6, 2011 at 4:47 PM  

You are so lucky! I can't wait to run again. It sucks that the Running Room is only in Canda but they have web clinics. I'm totally gonna check them out!

Fitness Freak January 7, 2011 at 4:58 AM  

Indeed sports bra is a must have for women who are having bigger breasts, without it is very difficult to run.

Shannie (akaSolidice242) January 7, 2011 at 11:01 AM  

Thanks for the post if i ever become a runner this will come in handy... Thanks for the vaseline tip too I have fairly big boobs and I get chaffy sometimes and I am going to try that to see how it helps.

Post a Comment

Drop Me A Line!

Powered by Blogger.

Designed By Diamond Jenrette at Diamant Interactive Studio 2010. Template by OurBloggerTemplates