How Low Can You Go

Half Marathon Negativity, A 10k Race and Ball Pilates

>> Thursday, January 6, 2011

On Wednesday I went to my last meeting for my 10k clinic. We discussed what is the next step for each of us. Some of us will be repeating the 10k clinic again and some of us (like me) will be moving on to the Half Marathon Clinic. Our "leader" was talking to us and I found her speech super negative. Instead of encouraging us and telling us that we are ready for the half, all she kept saying was how the half is so hard and that we will have to watch our diet so carefully. She continued to say that if we do not run at least four times a week the half clinic is going to be hard. They do not hold our hand, blah, blah, blah. Honestly, I wanted to get up and shut her up. I could not understand how someone who was suppose to lead us could be so negative as many of us were about to take the next step in our running journey. Many runners in my group were doubting themselves when I KNOW that they can do. I font care if she thinks that I am ready or not. I have paid my 70$ for the race and there is no turning back. If I have to crawl across that finish line I am going to finish thy race.

On Sunday, we are going to have a 10k race to end our clinic. I am hoping that I can do it in an hour and fifteen minutes of less. This will be my first 10k race, I am very excited.

Remember the yoga/pilates instructor from the other night? I went to his ball pilots class tonight and it was murdah! My body is already on pain. We did over 150 sit ups and all kinds of work with the ball. He told us to talk our waist and hip measurements because he guaranteed us that in two months we would a reduction in the number of inches.

6 comments:

Anonymous,  January 7, 2011 at 12:45 AM  

I am not sure I agree with you on the half-marathon clinic. Paying money is one thing, running 21k is another. There is no lies in it, nutrition, constant training and conditioning are key. I think she was just being honest, paying money doesnt guarantee crossing the finish line. While still remembering this, please prove her wrong, but there is lots of value in doing lets say more 5 or 10Ks with a focus of taking the times below 30 mins for a 5 before moving on.
My two cents.

MegFordice January 7, 2011 at 10:42 AM  

Some trainers like to reinforce with negativity, some with positivity. She's trying to scare people straight, I think. That being said, you are a running rock star and I know you will accomplish it!

ERICA January 7, 2011 at 11:33 AM  

I'm running a half in June and I've never run a 10K. You're way ahead of me. Maybe she just meant everything you know you should do (food, work outs) is more critical and consistency is the key.

I also think everyone has their race length, maybe shes a 10K-er and you're a marathoner! Don't worry about the half, put in the work and listen to your body.

Nona January 7, 2011 at 12:20 PM  

Hi Chickie,

Glad to see you're doing so well both on the health front and on the blogging front.

You and I both know how important positivity and building moral is to learning. Any good educator knows how to get the information across while motivating learners. Too often in learning situations people succeed in spite of the instructor, rather than because of the support of the instructor. Damn shame!!! Anyway, you just continue to kick ass my sweet.

{{{Hugs}}}

Tim January 7, 2011 at 12:41 PM  

It's a shame that the leader was negative, especially when people in the room sounded like they needed that tiny bit more encouragement to realise they've made a tough but good decision to compete in a half marathon.

Let's hope the other people left with a similar attitude you did and they're determined to finish it no matter what.

LOVEOFMYLIFE1924 January 7, 2011 at 8:19 PM  

Yeah that "leader" chick need a new job! Keep rocking it out! Can't wait to hear the measurements in two months!

Post a Comment

Drop Me A Line!

Powered by Blogger.

Designed By Diamond Jenrette at Diamant Interactive Studio 2010. Template by OurBloggerTemplates