How Low Can You Go

Your Legs Are Soar, From Kicking So Much Ass!!!!!!!

>> Monday, May 30, 2011

     Yesterday, was the best day of my 30 years on this planet.  I finished my first Half Marathon in Ottawa. Considering I started running last year, I cannot believe I made it to this moment. I ran 21.1 K (13 miles) in 2 hours and 31 minutes.  I finished strong, I was am so happy.  I am so proud of myself. I cannot believe it.  Every time I think about what I have accomplished, I smile.  Part of me thinks that I can actually run a marathon one day.  Maybe by the time that I am 35 it can be done.  I think that I need to have a few more halves under my belt. I wore my medal to work today like a loser, but I didn't care! 

We went down to Ottawa on Saturday and we headed to the Convention Center to pick up our race kits. 
   
Line of cars heading to the Convention Center to pick up their kits

My bib number, the longest number I have ever received.


We received a shirt with our registration, by the time we got there only L and XL were left, luckily they were made small

  
The shirt


I ran into another Running Room buddy at the pick up, all smiles, we didn't know what we were in for.

There was an expo with various running booths.  One of them was for a race in the Cayman Islands, I wish! One day, one day...
Got this great pin

That night we went to a lovely Italian restaurant (carb loading baby!) and had a lovely dinner.

The next morning we were up at 5:45 am (the race was at 9 a.m).  I had my healthy oatmeal breakfast and we headed out.  We knew that many streets would be closed because the marathon started at 7 am.  We had to pay 16$ to park the car and I was down impressed with  that.


I am so excited!  Can you tell?


Jen and I, co worker, running buddy, friend.


This was the crowd at the race, over 9300 people ran/walk the half marathon!  Isn't that crazy?


Getting ready to start. As you can see the weather was crappy, but it was great for running. The rain cut the humidity.




Here I am at the beginning of the race, why am I so cheesy, I am sure I do not sound like what you thought:


The race it self was fantastic, I started of fast and strong, I think it was the energy of the crowd.  The great thing about Ottawa was along the route there were people cheering, high fiving and encouraging us along the route. Many people had told me that running the Ottawa Half was amazing because of the crowd but this is something that you have to experience yourself.  Everything they say about this race is true and more.

The signs along the race route were HILARIOUS! 

You are NOT almost done.  ---> This sign was at the 5K mark

This seemed like a good idea in January
Run? I thought it said RUM!


Go Go, Gadget Legs
This is the worst parade EVER!
My favorite--> Your legs are soar from kicking so much ASS!


    I took a one minute walk every ten minutes (except for the first one) and this really helped me stay strong during the race.  I really didn't feel tired until about 14K.  The back of my ankles started to hurt.  Funny at 17K a women said, "You are almost done".  Sorry Lady, 4K means another half an hour that is NOT almost done.

It wasn't all roses and chocolate.  Along the route I saw at least 4 people who needed medical attention with ambulances, one young lady was on a stretcher, I said a little prayer for her.  A man passed out 2K before the end of the race.  Her was shaking and blue.  Some people were vomiting along the route.

When I saw 1K I got my Usian Bolt injection, I saw the finish line and I was ready.  I sprinted like a bat out of hell. People must of thought I had just smoked crack, because I was going so fast.  I had my hands up like I had won the lottery, I was ecstatic.

When I crossed the finish, I saw the guy in front of me get on one knee and propose to his girlfriend that he has run the race with.  She was like, "What are you doing?"  He replied, "We did this together, will you marry me?"  She accepted.  My question is, did he run with the ring in his pocket the whole time?

That silver cape was given to us to stay warm.

When I get my official pics I will post them.  I went for a much needed massage today, surprisingly my legs are not too bad, they have been in worse shape.

Thanks for reading, more to come soon!

16 comments:

wannabe former fatgirl May 31, 2011 at 12:26 AM  

Thats awsome, I so wish I could run a half marathon! I will one day, until then I will work and work and work!

Congrats on completing it, you go girl

Alexia May 31, 2011 at 2:01 AM  

hahahahah @ the Usian Bolt comment.

Amazing, Haneefa! Of course you're so proud :)

Rusti May 31, 2011 at 2:01 AM  

AWESOME!!! Congrats! I am hoping to run a half in November!
~RustiAnn

Miesha Roshawn May 31, 2011 at 6:43 AM  

So very proud of you girl! You set a goal, stuck with it and accomplished it! Awesome job!!

Amanda@BustingThroughIt May 31, 2011 at 7:29 AM  

Congrats girl! That is such an awesome accomplishment!

Anonymous,  May 31, 2011 at 7:59 AM  

Way to go girly. Love the vid.

Healthier Me May 31, 2011 at 11:37 AM  

YAY!!! You did it!!! There was some good energy there at the race. Congrats :D

Tim May 31, 2011 at 4:04 PM  

I can't wait to see the pics! You did brilliantly and you so deserve having the best day ever because you put in so much hardwork and effort just to get to this stage.

The question is...what's next? Full marathon?? lol!

LeeLee May 31, 2011 at 6:58 PM  

Do you know when I run I have you in my head..."Keep you head up! Look over the roof tops! Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth" Every time I looked down I would quickly look up remembering your tips! You are such an AMAZING force of light! I am so proud of you! You took this running thing to a whole other level and you are kicking butt at it!!! I LOL when I read about your Usian Bolt comment. What is that & where can I find some? LOL!!! Keep on Pushing Baby!!!

Mrs. Bradley May 31, 2011 at 7:03 PM  

Way 2 go. You are a rock star!

Ro June 1, 2011 at 9:03 AM  

YES YES YESS!!!! So very proud of you...I was smiling reading this you are too funny. YAYY!
*high fives*

MissHaneefa June 2, 2011 at 5:24 PM  

THANK YOU EVERYONE! I have the best readers!!!

@Tim--to be honest a marathon has crossed my mind, not yet, but soon!

michelle June 5, 2011 at 2:48 AM  

I know I am late to comment But I am so happy for you. Congrats! This was such a wonderful accomplishment;)

Post a Comment

Drop Me A Line!

Powered by Blogger.

Designed By Diamond Jenrette at Diamant Interactive Studio 2010. Template by OurBloggerTemplates